The Shuswap Association of Writers is pleased to announce the winners of the 2020 Askew’s Word on the Lake Writing Contest!
In the fiction category, judged by David A. Poulsen:
- First place — “Li’l Old” by Debbie Pakka
- Second place — “A Symphony of Sparrows” by Sharon McInnes
- Honourable Mention — “The Dinner” by Océane Picard
In the nonfiction category, judged by Faye Arcand:
- First place — “Kenny Baron Specials” by Marilyn Kriete
- Second place — “Mrs. M. Cox’s Meat Roll” by Nancy Davies
- Honourable Mention — “In Search of the Red-Winged Blackbird” by Sally Quon
In the poetry category, judged by Linda Rogers:
- First place — “Dust” by Pamela Medland
- Second place — “Me and the Pigeon in Tuscany” by Wendy Weseen
- Honourable Mention — “Ponderings” by S. Maggie Ricciardi
With the cancellation of the 2020 Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival because of the coronavirus health emergency in BC, the contest winners will be honored at next year’s 2021 festival, alongside the winners of the 2021 contest. And even though the festival has been canceled, the Askew’s Word on the Lake Anthology 2020 has been e-published. This year’s expanded anthology, featuring not only the nine winning contest entries but a selection of works from some of the presenters originally slated for the 2020 festival, will be available in ebook form on May 8, 2020, with print copies available shortly thereafter.
Next year’s writing contest will open for submissions on January 1, 2021. If you’d like to be on the contest mailing list, just drop a line to email@example.com.